Amazing French Dips

I love French Dips. I use to make ghetto french dips in college, which consisted of roast beef thrown in a pan, seasoned with anything I could find and served with grocery store pre-made au jus. I'm sad to admit, I called that cooking, and even served it to the Hubs on more than one occasion.

I found a little bar in my new town, that has amazing french dips. After a few trips, I realized I didn't need to be in there a few times a week, eating a giant french dip, with greasy fries and washing it down with a cold one, so I set out to find something I could "downsize" at home.

My new favorite is a spin off of this recipe:
Rachael Ray Food Network

My recipe is for 2 servings.

1 Tbsp butter
1/2 shallot finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
1oz red wine
3/4 to 1 can of beef broth
1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef
Salt and pepper to taste
2 sub style deli sandwich rolls, split
Cheese and/or horseradish sauce to taste

Directions
Melt butter in a shallow skillet. Once butter melts, add shallots and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add flour to pan and cook a for one minute. Whisk in red wine and cook liquid out. Whisk in beef broth. Bring sauce to a bubble and simmer over low heat until ready to serve sandwiches.

Chop/Dice meat to desired size. Season with salt and pepper. Using a pair of tongs or a long serving fork, dip meet into sauce and pile directly onto sandwich roll. Add cheese and/or horseradish sauce if desired. Serve additioanl sauce in a small bowl or ramekin.

Personal changes: I bought the rarest roast beef I could get my hands on. I was afraid the meat would cook too quickly even with just dipping it in the sauce. I added my meat to the sauce for 3 minutes and it came out still slightly pink in the middle, which is how I prefer roast beef. I also toasted my roll with a little butter prior to piling on the meat.

No comments: